• Foto de From Meghradzor to Margahovit
  • Foto de From Meghradzor to Margahovit
  • Foto de From Meghradzor to Margahovit
  • Foto de From Meghradzor to Margahovit
  • Foto de From Meghradzor to Margahovit
  • Foto de From Meghradzor to Margahovit

Temps  5 hores 33 minuts

Coordenades 1485

Data de pujada 4 / d’octubre / 2017

Data de realització de setembre 2017

-
-
2.633 m
1.710 m
0
6,8
14
27,39 km

Vista 389 vegades, descarregada 10 vegades

a prop de Meghradzor, Kotaykʼ (አርሜኒያ)

Biking trail description
The mountain biking trail promises you maximum magnificent scenes of nature and mountain biking lasting feelings. The trail starts from the cozy town of Kotayq province, Meghradzor, where it is common to say that they get the most honey. From here the trail rises along a crushed winding path. There are no steep ascents and it is possible to drive all the way down without a bicycle. The climate of mountain biking trail is multicolored and varied, it passes through the territory of two provinces, possesses mixed relief, from mountain steppes, grassy green meadows and forested mountains. Mountain roads are partly covered with plains, crushed, sometimes grassy and smooth. Driving this mountain biking trail is a great pleasure for Armenian cyclists and they are returning again and again.
There are two cold sources of water on the way and the water is drinkable. The route ends in Margahovit village. If you return to Yerevan, you can reach Dilijan by a bicycle as it goes down 6-8 km from the road. And from Dilijan you can take a taxi.
The return is from Margahovit village or from Dilijan city to Yerevan

Monuments description
Sevan Monastery, founded by Grigor Lusavorich in 305, is located on the Sevan Peninsula (formerly an island).
The island was fortified with borders until the Bronze Age. There was a pagan temple, and in IX century Syunik princes made their pivot here. In 874 Mariam, the daughter of King Ashot Bagratuni, at the same time the wife of Prince Syunyats Vasak Gabur, built two churches - Arakelots (smaller) and Astvatsatsin. The construction records, written in 874, are still evident on the eastern side of the drum of the Church of the Apostles.
St. Astvatsatsin (Holly Mother) church, situated in the south-east of the peninsula, has the same trump of composition. The western side is enclosed with a courtyard, one of the oldest (standing until the 1930s). The columns of the canvas are embroidered with wooden ornamented caps that are now kept in the State Historical Museum of Armenia and Hermitage. It is assumed that the caps were brought from a palace building. They are truly valuable pieces of Armenian medieval woodworking art.
The remains of a domed hall-type church (probably built later) have been preserved on the hill. There are numerous khachkars in the area. In 1956-57 the churches were renovated.

Lake Sevan is situated at an altitude of 1,900m above sea level. Its’ length is 78km and the maximum width is 56km. The lake itself is 1,260 km2 and it is the largest body of water in Armenia and the Caucasus region. The average depth is 26.8m, the deepest place is Pokr (Small) Sevan at 83m. The volume of the water is 32.92 billion m³.
The Lake is cut into two parts by the Shorzha underwater dam- Mets (Big) Sevan (the average depth is 37.7m) and Pokr (Small) Sevan (50.9m). In summer, the surface water temperature reaches 21 degrees, and it rarely freezes in winter. Sevan is fed by 28 rivers and streams, among them is the Gavaraget, Argichin, Masrik, and Dzknaget Rivers, but only the Hrazdan River outflows from Lake Sevan. Endemic fish live in Lake Sevan, such as Barbus goktschaicus, Varicorhinus capoeta sevangi, and the Salmo ischchan. The Salmo ischchan has also been taken to Central Asia, where it has perfectly adapted to the climatic conditions there.
The whitefish was brought to Sevan from the Ladoga and Chud lakes of Russia in 1,924, and is now productively breeding, and has gained great industrial importance in the area. Sevan National Park was founded in the basin of Sevan. It has four stocks and ten reserves. The lake is considered to be an important breeding center for gulls, the number of which is between 4,000-5,000 pair.
The basin of Sevan has been explored by hundreds of scientists and travellers. During all those explorations there was not even a hint of the existence of hidden historical monuments under the lake. But recently, the secret was revealed, when the water level decreased a little. 3,000-5,000-year-old ruins of castles and dwellings, and a large number of tombs were found.

Jukhtak Monastery (very close to Dilijan) is located in the Tavush marz, 3km northeast of Dilijan. Jukhtak translates to “pair” in Armenian, and as such the 11th-12th century monastery consists of two churches - St. Astvatsatsin (Holy Mother of God) and St. Grigor (St. Gregory) - as well as a surrounding cemetery. Despite having the same names, these are different from the churches of Haghartsin!
Both churches of the monastery are covered with carvings and inscriptions, one of which is situated on the semi-round façade stone of the St. Astvatsatsin church. The St. Gregory church is located 15m east of the St. Astvatsatsin church. This medium sized construction has a centralized dome, four arches, carved stones, and elegantly decorated sacristies. Besides the two churches, there are other ruins in the monastery, as well as a cemetery around the churches with tombstones.

Haghartsin complex is located in Tavush province, 18 km from Dilijan. It was constructed between the 10th and 13th centuries. The Haghartsin monastic complex comprises three churches, two courtyards (one ruined), kitchens, prayer rooms, and cross-stones. The bronze cauldron found in Haghartsin (350 kg weight) is one of the best examples of Armenian metallurgical art and is now presented in the National Museum of Armenia. The date of creation (1232) is engraved on the crown ornament and the four lugs are lions gravures. The complex is composed of buildings constructed during different periods. The oldest one is Church of St. Gregory (constructed around X century). It has a cross dome with sacristies in the four corners. Haghartsin began to flourish in the 30-s of XIII which was the governing epoch of Khachatur Taronatsi. Before that period, the monastery was deserted for many years. Inside the monastery the interconnecting arches and the modest slopes, as well as the mild illumination of the garrets, creates a gorgeous image in its simplicity. In the north-eastern corner of the western horizon is found the name Minas; moreover, the capital letter "M" appears very often on the wall breaks. Perhaps, it symbolizes the name of the architect. This sacral place has many visitors throughout the entire year.

Flora
Meghradzor residents are engaged in cultivation of graind, potato, cabbage, and tabacco. The trail doesn't have trees in this area. The village is located on the left bank of the Marmarik river.
There are fruit trees and potato and cabbage gardens everywhere in Margahovit. The climate is damp, so the mountains are rich in oak trees and pine forests. Drinking water was brought to a distance of about 7 km. The houses are made of stone with roofs. The surrounding area is wooded.

Fauna
This mountain biking trail is full of adventures, but there are few animals. The representatives of the wild fauna are rarely encountered, like the jerboa and the rabbit. It is possible to meet bears, wolves, and foxes. In extremely hot weather there are many reptiles: lizards, snakes, and rarely, turtles.

Safety and Security
From the Meghradzor village of Kotayk marz to the peak of the mountain there is no telephone connection. From the peak to Meghradzor village of Kotayq marz, Ucom and Viva Cell-Mts mobile connections are always available․ In the case of an accident 911 rescue services operate in Armenia 24/7. Beware of the dogs protecting the flock of sheep.

Trail technical parameters
Best period: May – October
Distance: 69 km from Yerevan, by taxi
Duration: 1 hour 25 min, by M4
Bike trail length: 28 km
Biking duration: 5 hours
Altitude from sea level: 1700-2650-1700 m
50% of the road is stony, and 50% is ground-based
Buy bottled water and take it with you

How to get to the trail
To cross the above mentioned mountain biking trail it should be reached Meghradzor village of Kotayk province, and the return from Margahovit village of Lori province. It is convenient to use taxi., and taxis throughout Armenia are quite affordable. Please use the taxis in which counters are installed.
Waypoint

001 START

Waypoint

002 SPRING

Waypoint

003 FINISH UP DOWNHILL

Waypoint

004 SPRING

Waypoint

005 FINISH MARGAHOVIT

Comentaris

    Si vols, pots o aquesta ruta.